Two things to keep in your cabinet that can come in handy for recipe substitutions are ground flax seed and Greek yogurt. Flax seed has been around for over 3000 years and is known for its health benefits in reducing the risk of developing diabetes, stroke, heart disease and breast cancer. It has the highest source of lignans (antioxidants), heart healthy omega 3’s (1.8 gms per tablespoon) and is a great source of soluble and insoluble fiber.
Recipe Substitutions with Ground Flax Seed
Use this formula to substitute for one egg. Double for two eggs and so on. The nice thing is that it has zero cholesterol.
1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal or Golden Flaxseed Meal 3 Tbsp Water
Substitute up to half your oil with ground flax seed using a 3:1 ratio. If your recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil, use only 1/4 cup oil along with 3/4 cup ground flax seed (3 X 1/4 = 3/4). Since this is a dryer substitution, you will need to add some water or other liquid to get the batter to the right consistency. In my pancake and cake recipe I add flax seed and plain fat free Greek yogurt as a way to add moisture to my batter along with some water.
Recipe Substitutions with Greek Yogurt
These substitutions can be found on Cabot’s Greek large 2 pound container of low fat vanilla and are a great way of reducing fat in a recipe or for using if you don’t have or have enough of an ingredient. Imagine using a little ground flax seed and some Greek yogurt in replace of most of the oil in a recipe. Not only would you be reducing calories by reducing some of the fat but you would boosting the protein, fiber and antioxidants! Not a bad tradeoff!
- 1 cup sour cream with 1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of butter with 1/3 cup mayo and 2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup oil with 1/3 cup oil and 2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream with 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk or cream with 3/4 milk or cream and 1/4 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup buttermilk with 1/3 cup milk and 2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 8 oz cream cheese or mascarpone with 4 oz cream cheese or mascarpone and 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese with 1/2 cup ricotta and 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt