I love Bob’s Red Mill products. They are delicious, cheap and fill you up. In 1/4 cup dry of this rice blend (which would yield 1/2 cup cooked) is 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. When I make my rice I also augment it with quinoa which is even higher in fiber(3 gm.) and protein(4 gm.) in 1/2 cup. I also add green lentils to further boost the fiber (4 gm.) and protein (5 gm.) in that same size serving. My motto is to enhance the good of whatever I’m cooking so that I get more variety and filling factor. See my recipe below for this mixture that you can also freeze and use at a later time. I use this in sauté’s, as a side and even add it to meatloaf in order to cut down on the meat. And of course, you can use any rice blend for this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup brown and wild rice blend
- 6 cups of chicken bouillon stock(I boil my chicken bones to make stock and freeze it for later use)
- 2/3 cup green lentils
- 2/3 cup black quinoa or you can use another color
- 1 tbsp. Moroccan seasoning (you can buy it or make your own – see recipe below)
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
Bring brown rice and bouillon to a boil and then turn down and simmer for 25 minutes. Add lentils, quinoa and spices to mixture and bring to another boil, then turn down and simmer on low for an additional 30 minutes. This makes about 10-12 servings and freezes well. See mine below!
5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoons all spice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
Mix together and keep in an airtight container. This makes an excellent rub to put on fish and chicken as well!